On a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V configuration with 2 network adapters I experienced the following problem: I installed a Windows 2008 R2 guest this was no problem, but when I try to do windows updates I got an “Windows could not search for new updates, An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 80072EE2” error message.
Everthing else looks fine, dns resolving works fine, network browsing looks good, I could access internet pages even the windows update page, but trying to update gives this particulary error.
Tried the same on a windows 2003 guest and everything looks fine. Installed another Windows 2008 R2 server same problem occurres.
Solution: After some more trouble shooting I found that when I start the windows update I lost network connection on that particulary network adapter, even on all other VM’s using that adapter and on the Host. Now I was connected with the other adapter so I didn’t see this behaviour in first place. So I bound the other network adapter to one of the Windows 2008 R2 guests and I could windows update with no error.
Because I would like to know what was causing this problem I found after some more troubleshooting and testing that the problem was caused by the Large send Offload setting enabled on the network adapter. After disabling this setting everything works fine.
The network adapter was causing the trouble was a D-Link DGE-528T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.